Personal Training

Monday, May 09, 2011

Mind-fitness

"To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear"- Buddha

If I could use my strength and athleticism into work in my mind, I think I might be unstoppable. There's a powerful connection between the mind and body. One can affect each other. Sometimes it's the other way around - the mind controls the body.

Our thoughts can control our actions, our moods, our performance and ultimately the end result.It can work for the best or it can be our worst enemy. It's a hard fight we must deal with and can not run away from it. 

For example, what happens when you decide to embark on a mission to get in shape? What is your line of thinking? Are you truly committed, do you know what to expect and the sacrifices you must do to get to the place you want to? I've noticed most people don't set realistic goals. They think that by showing up once in a while to the gym, boot camp or working out at home maybe once a week, and allowing themselves to "cheat" or "treat" themselves every time with food without making any significant changes; that will be alright to get results. 

No wonder after just a few weeks they are complaining about the lack of results. What are you complaining about? If you are not willing to do what it takes, there's just no way you will ever see real results!!! 

If you go out every day and stuff yourself with crappy food, sweets and alcohol; don't expect much. But don't lie to yourself either. Sometimes the greatest lies we tell are often the lies we tell ourselves. Ask yourself: Is my way of thinking supporting my goals and building my body for success? Or does it sabotage my efforts? 

It's all in the mind. If you tell yourself you can't do it - you won't. If you tell yourself you will, you can and you must... then you will most surely find a way and stick to it cause it's that important to you.

My most successful clients have one thing in common - they want it bad and they believe in themselves no matter what.

Don't get me wrong; sometimes its not easy, in fact most of the time its not. If you're like me, which my mind never seems to shutdown, you can understand how frustrating sometimes this can be. May thoughts can cross your mind, from the positive to the negative. Thinking alone can make you exhausted... 

Why am I telling you all of this? If you don't control your mind it will control you, and it becomes hard to perform and be your best. What happens when it's workout time and you feel exhausted already? Will you ditch the workout and convince yourself you can do it another day? Everyone has days in which we don't feel like working out or we are "too busy" to fit it in. If I where to skip a workout every time I don't feel like it where would I be?

What if you are constantly just being negative and critical about yourself? This often results in a self destructive thought process. Don't you think that will affect how you see yourself, your drive to exercise and to eat healthy? In fact it can also damage your business and personal relationships. You may start thinking I'm single for a reason, I look ugly, I'm unlovable; - or if you are in a relationship you may feel fear to expose yourself and to be intimate,cause if you are not happy with the way you look you have convinced yourself that your partner isn't either. 

Listen, whatever it its that could be mind troubling to you STOP putting yourself down. Believe in yourself and control your mind, make it work for you.

In my case I have found that exercise and sports is a great way to channel my emotions, release stress, clear my mind and at the same time to open it for newer thoughts. You might see me in the gym with a piece of paper and a pen writing stuff down while working out; and its not my training program cause that's already mapped out. However I'll admit it hasn't erased my problems, my past failures and regrets. But it helps me stay sane and in control most of the time.

That's the way of the mind, my brother calls it like having a search engine built in. You think of something or someone says a word or you read  it and puff! all these memories, and mixed emotions pop out of nowhere. That you can't avoid, but you can control which path to live by. Use it as a learning experience, enjoy live, believe in yourself. 

Physically: Don't put things in your body you know are not good for you; keep your body away from situations you know aren't good for you and do work hard to be in optimal shape.

Mentally: Don't judge yourself or others too hard; knock off the guilts and resentments.Use every experience as a learning and growth opportunity. 

Take care of your mind and the body will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment