Personal Training

Sunday, September 06, 2009

The Soul Searching Process

Lately I've been through "one of those days" when your spirit is down and you need a lift. I guess we all experience this and perhaps at some point we break down. And then I came across a line that said: "The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

For me these where powerful words, I mean for someone who preaches and encourages everyone to live a healthy lifestyle, to be fit and positive; it really meant a lot... and made me reflect on my life.

I'm a really positive person, but I must admit that life challenges and obstacles can be a burden. How we deal with these issues can have a profound effect on our health, body, mind and soul. It's all about having the right atittude and the right mind set; it's about having a warrior like focus that no matter what... you will prevail. To be honest I've always felt I'm a natural born champion, not because I've won many times... but because I never give up, I refuse to.

I know I'm hard headed at times... I guess it's made me into who I am, it has allowed me to develop characther, be compassionate, to care for others, to cry with my friends or clients, who ultimately become my friends as well, when they go through their ups and downs. For example, the other day during a fitness consult with a new client of mine, after going through a series of questions I asked her to really express to me 'why or what was driving her to be here in front of me and start this program'... she broke down in tears.

That's the soul searching process... It hit her deep down and she opened up. At that moment for an instance she faced her fears and built courage and determination to start on a journey that would improve the quality of her life.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's an easy task, the main reason being that there are things in life you can control and things you can't, but in this instance you can chose to make the best of it.

On the other hand if you are realistic then you know you won't be able to change your life from one day to another... but you sure can change the direction of it, and that's where it starts.

Only you can determine this, if you are honest with yourself, what really bugs you and then develop a positive outlook that you can change and be different. For any given person it could be so many things; childhood traumas, obesity, a life filled with hatred and pain, drug or subtances abuse, the lost of a loved one, your own image... who knows what else. But once you've identified the cause, then you are ready to heal and move forward, at times these burdens may requiere help from other people even professionals who are better equipped to help you reconstruct your life.

In the process you may find yourself lost, confused, afraid, alone... but in the end you've probably saved your soal, found yourself, became a leader. And I know because just like you I've been there. However my biggest obstacle has been to allow myself to be surrounded by negative people. Not people who are seeking for help, rather those who suck the life out of you, because it makes them feel better- these people drain the energy out you, and slowly en up destroying your soal.

However just like everything else I've mentioned above; this too you can change. At times it's a painful process, because for whatever reason they are attached to your life, and some of these changes requieres letting go, finding new friends, new loved ones...

Through this process I've learned the value of pain... I've learned that I can only help those who allow me to help. And I can only help, if I have saved my own. I'll admit however that by getting rid of all the negativeness in my life I became a very lonely person for quite some time. But looking back I have no regrets, I changed my ways from a self destructive mode to knowing who I am, where I am and where I want to be. I have learn to forgive and move on, to live the life that I want and I've found again that positive person I've always been.

Someone once said that 'good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement...' I must say that I have learned from every experience in my life good or bad; and for that I am grateful because it has made into who I am.

My comfort has been exercise, sports and fitness. Also I've manage to find new friends and motivate others in the quest to healthier and fitter them.

I guess in the end we are no different from each other and probably thats why we need one another. May you also find the will and strength that you need to become a better you.

Author: Eduardo Lorenzo, NASM-CPT specializes in sports performance, injury prevention, corrective exercises, physique enhancement, Boot Camp and weight loss programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment