Personal Training

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

THEY DON'T GET IT...

I just saw a "golf coach" working with a kid and it was horrible. Hey I'm not a golfer.. I'll give you that much. But I understand the sport, I study the mechanism required to excel and be better. I look at how the body moves and what muscles are required in order to execute proper form and technique, and then we apply that to training.

I won't be able to teach someone how to play golf.. I just might say 'hey swing the bat or stick and try to hit it far'... if putting 'you better look like Tiger Woods'.

Yet this guy was a joke and the poor kid doesn't knows the difference between whats right and and whats wrong.

Reminds me of yesterday. Someone in Facebook started a thread of how he was training a 17 yr old kid who plays football and had no idea what proper training was. My instant reply was that I've been there. I've trained a few teens who play different sports and have no idea what proper stretching is, what a dynamic warm up consist off, or even how to perform proper form and technique with proper exercises.

The sad part of it is that schools are packed with so called coaches who give these kids bodybuilding or power-lifting exercise programs without conducting a proper assessment nor addressing their weaknesses in order to make them better and reduce the risk of injury. In fact very few coaches actually teach these kids proper technique, even on basic exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench press.. you name it.

THE DON'T GET IT!!!!

You should have seen the responses everyone gave in his post, most of them agreeing that the system has to better or we'll end up hurting these young athletes even before they get to college.

Most Strength & Conditioning programs are useless or just taken from a magazine and/or downloaded from the Internet with no relation to the junior athlete specific conditioning. They end up with a weak core, weak hip rotators, weak scapula, weak bodies and prone to injuries...

If schools, parents, and "coaches" don't care enough about a specific program then they are in the wrong business, and shouldn't be putting these kids through it. Yet it's not the kids fault, these people most likely shouldn't be coaching.

I feel I need to go on this rant...

The truth of the matter is that there are great kids with amazing potential on the rise. Parents, counselors, coaches and trainers we must keep improving to better serve those who put their health, performance and trust in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment