Personal Training

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

To be healthy, fit and happy you need...

I know it's been awhile since my last post, but things at Electra have really busy lately. With the Spa and Medical facilities under construction we've been working around the clock to have everything up and ready ASAP!

I was also getting ready for my presentation at the "Speaking of Women's Health Convention", that was held last week. During my breakout session I spoked about how exercise, cardio and a healthy nutrition program can help any woman (no matter your age) look and feel your best.

I must say I had a blast and seeing these ladies get into the exercises and understand how it relates to their bodies was quite awesome. While at the convention I had the opportunity to listen to some of the other speakers, talk about health issues and preventive medicine as the alternative to a better health.

Listening to the keynote speaker, Kathleen Passanisi, PT, CSP, CPAE, was amazing. That lady made me laugh so hard that I had a great ab workout that day. Her theme was "The health benefits of laughter and humor". And in all the laughter and fun, there was a great message.

Our lives are crammed with pressures, obligations, and an unrelenting schedule. She helped the attendees find the humor in the hassles and challenges we face in our daily lives. It's was really interesting because she touched on a few issues I have in the past written about in this blog and in my newsletter.

For example how fear and doubt can be our enemy, yet we have choices in life and it's up to us to decide what we'll do. Either let it consume us or adopt a positive attitude and laugh at the things we can or just find a positive spin on things.

Stress is our enemy (most of the time)... yet we must focus on the things we can control and just be positive on the things we can't. One way to do this is by being a bit selfish. Let me explain...

By being selfish in a proper way, meaning you take time to take care of your health, fitness, and other things, you are able to serve other people better. You become a better spouse, a better employee, a better friend, in essence you are more productive... but this requires some "ME" time. It is possible to give so much of yourself away that you compromise the quality of who you are and what you have to give.

You've probably heard me before using the airplane oxygen mask analogy to describe this as well, and it's an accurate way to think about it. "If you're traveling with small children, they always tell you (in case of an emergency) to put your mask on first THEN help your children with theirs."

Because if you can't breathe, you can't help anybody. Very serious advice that should not be overlooked.

The take home message: laugh, be selfish, help others by giving them your best, be happy, exercise and eat well...

Eduardo Lorenzo

No comments:

Post a Comment